Topics-

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mayans and 'The end of the world.'

I don't understand why but when I'm at my dads house on his computer blogger doesn't work. I again apologize for this late post. If you haven't noticed I have recently began to put how many words the submissions to my article have. Thanks to the following website (Here!). It's on my "Labels" On the bottom of the blog. I thought it would help you out, and if you don't believe me you can check it yourself (: . Lately on facebook I have been seeing posts about the mayans and their soon predicted dooms day. They claim the mayans made the calender before leap year was invented, if there was no leap year we would be in July of 2013. So with them not accounting for the leap year, the world should have ended 7 months ago. I find this incredibly interesting so I decided to go further into this and not just take people's word for it. I have watched many History Channel clips about the end of the world predictions from the Mayan people, but I have never heard them bring up anything about leap year (or atleast as I can remember).  "Scenarios suggested for the end of the world include the arrival of the next solar maximum, or Earth's collision with a black hole or passing asteroid, or with a planet called 'Nibiru'." It seems insane how accurate the 5,125 year old calender is. Mayanist scholars have said that predictions of state that predictions of approaching doom are not found in any of the classic Maya accounts. The Long Count calender ends on 2012, but people misinterperate it as the end of the world ; It misrepresents Maya culture and history. I think if you took it into a scientific matter and seriously thought about it it seems rather implausable. How could an entire world just end in 48 hours? In my opinion I think it would take a gradual amount of the time of the world wearing down to it's utter most weakest point, then dying. But the world, though in danger now, doesn't appear to be sick enough to die within a couple months. Our Ozone is fading but it is not gone, our water is polluting but there is still fresh water, the forests are dying but there are nature preserves. It just doesn't seem possible. Also, on the Mayan Calender (as I saw on a documentary) that the Mayan Calender resets 4 times, we are on the 4th calender. The reasoning behind it is the gods created three failed world but a successful fourth world thus is why humanity has flourished.  The world did not simply end 3 times and build itself back up in a matter of 5,000 or so years, we would have no record of the past. Some people think our universe would be completely obliterated in December 2012 "when the Great Cycle of the Long Count reaches completion." In my opinion the end of world is merely a recently made thought, no where in any document does it say it was a day of doom. It might be a day of celebration, for all we know. "something unknown happened to shake the Maya civilization to its foundations. One by one, the Classic cities in the southern lowlands were abandoned, and by A.D. 900, Maya civilization in that region had collapsed. The reason for this mysterious decline is unknown, though scholars have developed several competing theories." Since a majority of the Mayans were wiped out mysteriously, they might not have been able to completely finish their calender. Rather strange how a once thriving population can mysteriously with no record decline at such a rapid pace. Scholars believe the most reasonable explanation could have been an intese drought, causing lack of crops and water could have been a very plausable way to kill out a population such as the Mayans.

No comments:

Post a Comment